Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Memorizing Monologues

Hello all.

So I should have started this homework at least last night, but instead decided to save it for tonight. Cuz I'm brilliant.

I had to learn 10 one minute monologues from Anton Chekov's Uncle Vanya (The first 3 acts) for tomorrow. I already had 4 memorized which is good, but 6 in one night is kind of a lot.

Off to memorize I went. And I successfully learned all 6. BUT, the thing is, I am worried that by the time I learned the sixth one, the first one was long since gone from my brain. As I went, I recorded myself reading each one.

I had done this earlier when I only had a few to learn so that I could get some review of them in on my walk to the subway to school. So, I continued this pattern, but there are so many of them now and I dont feel as confident with them that it will take more than just the walk to the subway to solidify them in my brainspace.

So I am gonna try something I've never done before tonight. I still feel like I need to catch up on my sleeps, even though I got 9 hours last night, so I am gonna try to get to bed asap. And instead of my usual watching FRIENDS on a half hour timer, I will be putting my headphones in and playing my recordings of my 10 (but really I've got 11) monologues on a constant loop for the duration of my sleep - or until my iPod dies.

I've never tried this before as a tactic for learning lines/monologues, so I have absolutely no idea if it will work or not, but I figure it's worth a shot. And if it doesnt work, at least I had them memorized at one point, so hopefully chunks of them will be at my disposal tomorrow during Acting class.

Here's hopin!

No comments:

Post a Comment