Friday, October 12, 2012

SLEEP NO MORE

Now that it has been a week since I saw Sleep No More, I figure I should give my review.

My problem with this show, pardon, with this review is I really dont know how to do it. This is a show that HAS to be experienced in person. It is almost indescribable.

The show takes place in the old abandoned (but now occupied) McKittrick Hotel in Chelsea.  You go in and find yourself in a bar (your ticket is a playing card) and then you head into the show at whatever point you'd like.

You get dropped off of an elevator alone (they tell you to separate from the people you came with) yet surrounded by other people - but everyone wears the same mask.

This show tells the story of Macbeth through interactions with the audience members and EXTREME dancing/physical movement. You are allowed to roam freely through this hotel and explore, touch, investigate as much or as little as you'd like. There are actors that you can follow around playing the different characters in Macbeth. Occasionally they will take you in for a one on one.

I was chosen by a woman playing a nurse for one of these one on ones, though it was not private. On one of the upper floors, there is a forest/maze room. It's not really a maze, but it winds you around. And in one corner there is a hut occupied by this nurse. When I got there, she was just closing herself into her hut, so I peaked at her through some cracks in the wall and saw that she was headed out, so I went around to the door and waited for her. She came out and started walking through the forest and I stayed right close behind her. She stopped at one point and looked back at me. I knew this was her test to see if I was willing to play along, so I took a subtle step towards her and she grabbed my hand and led me to this room full of beds. She then made me get in one and tucked me in real tight (with a whole bunch of people watching) and then sort of laid on me and whispered in my ear "Get better!"  It was a great moment.

I could spend hours, pages, and so many words describing everything to you, but it would never actually fully convey the SNM experience.

So I will close by saying: Go see this show. Go. Go as soon as you can. Spend the $90 - it's worth it. And when you are there, take in as much as you can, explore everything and follow people around and dont be afraid to get close to them, it could lead to an even more unique experience!


Seriously, why haven't you bought your tickets yet?

1 comment: