Sunday, October 14, 2012

WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?

Alright, time again for some thoughts on a show I saw last weekend. I'm a little slow at this... but whatever.

So I saw the current revival of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee on Broadway. It stars Tracy Letts and Amy Morton as the boozy bickering couple, George and Martha.

Let's start with the set, because that's the first thing you see when you enter the theater. (Side note: It is playing at the Booth Theatre which is where Next to Normal was when it was on the Bway and this was my first time back there to see a show and I was deeply saddened that I wasn't getting to see N2N even though I was overjoyed to be watching this crazy good show!) OK. The set- this is one of those classic "Living Room Dramas" So we are in George and Martha's living room with the front door back center, the kitchen off right and stairs leading to the second floor stage left. The place is nice enough, but kind of a dump. G and M have really let it go with their messiness and general clutter. Very detailed, nicely done, but fairly classic - though this is what the play calls for.

It is late at night after a party for the staff of the college that George works at and Martha's father is the Dean of (or something like that). G&M have invited a new professor and his wife over after the party. They get there first and, naturally, start drinking. The guests arrive and things are pleasant enough to begin with. But the more alcohol consumed by all, the worse the night becomes. There is a lot of anger spat back and forth between G&M, but it is clear in the beginning of the first act, and at the very end of the play, along with some scattered moments throughout that they really do love each other and know they have to stay with each other to survive. The bickering continues and seeps into arguments between guests and hosts. G&M's son is brought up - which angers George greatly. Martha is attracted to the new professor and tries to have an affair with him to get back at George. And much general drunkenness, but in a serious manner - not all party hard, fun times. SPOILER ALERT: At the end of the play, it is revealed that G&M have manufactured this son and decided that he would just be for the two of them and they would never speak of him to anyone else. Once Martha brings him up, all hell breaks loose and doesnt stop until everything is destroyed.

I had read the play a few years ago and really enjoyed it, but remember not totally understanding the son business. And as I was watching it I know the son didnt exist, but couldn't remember the severity of it. And even though it is the thing that basically causes the play, I think it is the least clear thing about the play. And maybe that is intentional.

The performances from these four actors were across the board fantastic. This is a BEAST of a show. 3 acts. NO downtime (some do go off stage, but the action on stage and the mind games are persistent!) Amy Morton's Martha was brilliant, I couldn't get enough of her, so detailed and funny, and heartbreaking. Ugh, she was just amazeballs. TRACY LETTS - while I thought he nailed George, and was equally amazing as Amy, half of my excitement was just because he WROTE August: Osage County, which I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. I think that show is unREAL. AMAZING. And to see the man who's brain that came out of up acting in this almost equally amazing show was double awesome. I was also impressed by Madison Dirks who played Nick, but he was my least favorite simply because the other three killed it, but he is also VERY skilled. For me, even though this is TOTALLY the G&M show, the standout was Carrie Coon as Honey, the new professors wife. Her character gets HAMMERED throughout the show. This in itself is awesome, and her part is meant to be the comic relief at times. In my opinion, she stole the show, STOLE THE SHOW. Amy was blathering on about something, doing FINE work, but I could NOT take my eyes off of this woman. Detailed, amazing, stunning, HILARIOUS, truthful, open, brilliant DRUNKENNESS. I can't explain it. She was sober, but you would never know. Ever. It was the most amazing thing to my eyes. LOVED her.




This is a great show to see. It will rev you up, and sort of break your heart, make you laugh, and you'll come out amazed by the intensity that you just witnessed. And Carrie Coon's performance in Act One ALONE is worth far more than the price of admission. Go see it. And love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment